Human Resource Module
Employment & Labour Law, Human Resources & Benefit Plans
MacDonald A&B Room, Double Tree by Hilton, Halifax/Dartmouth
Friday November 16, 2018
View the Employment & Labour Law, Human Resources & Benefit Plans promotional program here
This skills-based training module is intended to improve municipal administrators’ knowledge with respect to employment and labour law, human resources, and benefit plans. It will help build awareness of the legal framework of human resource management with respect to employment contracts, collective agreements and workplace policies. Participants will also learn the procedure for dispute resolution and the legal responsibilities of municipal managers. This is the first of two modules to be run in our HR Module Training Series.
- Overview of Legal Framework
- Understanding municipal managers responsibilities with respect to human resources
- Understand the purpose and identify key elements of employment contracts, collective agreements and workplace policies
- Compare, contrast and interpret labour laws with existing policies
- Review of Labour Disputes, the grievance procedure, arbitration and enforcement / judicial review
- Develop internal processes and procedures that align with requirements and ensure consistent practices with respect to benefit plans
- Understand requirements and the plan administrators’ responsibilities
To register for the workshop please complete the following online registration form
If you are registering multiple individuals, please complete one registration form, per individual. We can only accommodate up to 30 participants in this workshop and attendance is granted on a first-come, first-serve basis. Cost to attend is $450 for AMANS Members and $610 for Non-Members. If you are a non-member, ask your municipality about using one of their training vouchers to get a discount. Please call our office for more information (902) 423-2215.
A block of rooms have been secured at the DoubleTree by Hilton Halifax/Dartmouth for $129/ night. Please call (902) 463-1100 and reference Association of Municipal Administrators. Alternatively, you are welcome to use our group booking link here to book
your room. Rooms must be booked by Tuesday October 16 to receive our group rate. Complimentary parking is available.
This workshop will be facilitated by Noella Martin, Q.C. with Wickwire Holm. Noella is a member of Wickwire Holm's Labour & Employment, Regulatory / Administrative, Municipal and Litigation services. Noella has represented employers virtually at every type of labour or employment related hearing, including the Labour Board, arbitrations and all levels of court.